Raj Ghat, Delhi
Raj Ghat is a memorial to Mahatma Gandhi. It is the site of an historic ghat on the banks of the river Yamuna, which is nearby. He was cremated here on 31st January 1948 the day after he was assassinated. It is very plain and simple. An eternal flame burns at the end of a black platform adorned with flowers.
When we visited it was very quiet, but very busy with a constant stream of visitors. We walked around but didn't go up close, because we didn't want to fuss and take off our shoes, and also I wasn't sure if mum would have approved! She often talked about the times the school train was held up for hours by the peaceful protesters and I think she blamed Mr Gandhi.
When we visited it was very quiet, but very busy with a constant stream of visitors. We walked around but didn't go up close, because we didn't want to fuss and take off our shoes, and also I wasn't sure if mum would have approved! She often talked about the times the school train was held up for hours by the peaceful protesters and I think she blamed Mr Gandhi.
![]() |
| Raj Ghat - Eternal flame and simple black platform adorned with flowers - memorial to Mahatma Gandhi |





Comments
Post a Comment